Sunday, April 7, 2013

Last Races of the Season! Still lots of Energy!!!

This time of year has traditionally been tough for me. I am usually pretty tired and each races presents a new opportunity, yet my body never seems ready for action. This year has been totally different! My energy and enthusiasm has been through the roof and I am very excited about each race and the challenge it brings.

Tomorrow is no exception. It is the final race of the Super Tour Finals and that means that it is an uphill skate race!!! Two of my favorite types of skiing :)

As the season draws to an end I am almost sad rather than relieved like most of my competitors. I am not sure if my happiness is because I am fresher than other years, having not started training until August, or because Brian and I have become experts at living on the road!!!

I have spent less then 2 weeks at home since Finals Week last August and as much as I want to go home with Brian by my side it never feels like I am sacrificing any other part of my life.

As the season draws to a close I think back to the awesome accomplishments, journeys and people Brian and I have experienced throughout the past year.

Although we did not get married, buy a house or speak at a commencement this year...We made other significant steps in our lives. I went back to school after 13 years, Brian returned to the Methow to work with a coach who he has known since high school, we planted many gardens, we helped an entire family get bicycles, we shared our story with new faces and inspired others to lead healthier lives, we lived together in a  300 sq/ft Yurt! and we had a wonderful time along the way!

Next Thursday when our races are over, Brian and I will head straight to Marquette, Michigan for my induction into the NMU Hall of Fame. I am honored to be receiving this recognition and I look forward to emphasizing how much my college education has positively impacted my life and how much being an NCAA athlete positively impacted my education.

In just over a week I will be back in Minneapolis and working with the Harrison Track Team again! Spring has Sprung back home and their are a lot of fun programs I have lined up for the next month!


No comments: